Saturday, December 19, 2009
I cut the fabric 5" wide on the bias. I wanted to keep the fabric edges raw for a soft drape, but didn't want the fabric to fray. I just guessed on how much fabric I needed to cut. (I needed approximately 3 times the width of the sweater for a decent ruffle... times 3 ruffles.) I then sewed my strips together end to end. I have a ruffle attachment on my machine ( I could not imagine ruffling this by hand)... Call me spoiled.
I worked from the bottom up & pinned the first ruffle on about 1.5" up from the bottom of the sweater. (Did I mention this sweater is a few years old & is considered way too short by today's top lengths). And just sewed it on.
I then added the second ruffle 3.5" above the first. Then added the third ruffle 3.5" above the second. Before I did any pinning or sewing, I did some playing to make sure the spacing was right & that the top of the top ruffle would hit roughly at Emipre level. Plus I only had 4 dainty flower shaped rhinestone buttons.
Voila...Cute new Sweater!
Tuesday, December 15, 2009
I was inspired to make the Photo Black Puzzle at Not so Idle Hands for My Peepers. So I bought all the stuff I needed at my local Michael's (using a coupon when ever I could of course).
When I got home, I realized I had bought 2" blocks. So I had a slight change of plans & instead of a 6x6 puzzle or an 8x8 puzzle, I made 2 4x4 puzzles. I printed out some photos from on-line. These I gave 2 coats of Mod Podge. The Family Photos were printed on photo paper & only needed one coat. One puzzle is of our family, Chloe & the grandparents. The others is of some of Anders favorites...
It was a bit time consuming - I hope someday he will appreciate them.
So... what the do with the 9th block? Well A holiday ornament of course! Using scrapbook paper for the top & bottom & 4 family photos. I marked the center by drawing a faint line from corner to corner. My Hubby drilled the pilot hole & then we used an eye screw & some ribbon.
It turned out so cute I ended up making a few more as gifts (Shhh... Don't tell).
PS - you may notice that I used a flattened Up & Up diaper box as my work station - This worked out great as I could take it from room to room & not have a mess to clean up when I only had a few minutes to work on this project. Also, If you have not tried them, I recommend the Up & Up diapers... Great quality, low price. (Not getting paid to say this).
Saturday, December 12, 2009
Sunday, December 6, 2009
Tuesday, December 1, 2009
I've been working on these quilted letters for some time now as a Christmas present for Peepers.
The cutting was the hardest part since you need to cut 3 layers for each letter. I also made more letters so he would some day (hopefully) play with these to practice reading & spelling.
I made 2 of every vowel & 2 of R, S, T & L, 3 N's & 4 E's so he could spell out his first, middle & last name.
The link for the pattern and tutorial is from Jessica at Oh So Happy Together if you are interested in making a set for your young ones.
Have a great day!