Sunday, May 23, 2010
Monday, May 17, 2010
Trim down the paper a bit, so you see some wood edges.
Mod Podge them onto the wooden block. TIP: I used my Pampered Chef Stone scraper to make sure there were no bubbles. You could use a credit or gift card too. Let one side dry good before you turm over to do the other side.
I then used a chocolate brown stamping ink pad & rubbed it around the edges to add a bit of an antique look to the block.
Do the same with your letters. TIP: wear rubber gloves when doing this. It is kind of messy.
OPPSY...I forgot to mention that I used coordinating colored card stock and cut 4" letters from my latest Archiver's excursion. Mod Podge these on to the blocks over the decorative paper. Again, make sure it is dry before turning over to do the other side.
Display... on a Mantle
On an entertainment center
On top of your kitchen cabinets
On a shelf
On an End Table
Tuesday, May 11, 2010
Ironically enough, I don't even drink coffee, so shout out to Danielle who supplied me with her coffee sleeves for this project. Also a shout out to Liz who gave me a sheet a stickers that she won at Archivers last Friday Night.
This is a super simple craft that only took a few minutes.
Sunday, May 9, 2010
Others may continue.
Today I'm re-purposing an old T- shirt into something a little better that what it was.
Take old jersey T-Shirt that fits or is slightly too large for you & cut off the bottom & sleeve hems & neckline. Then off the button cut a bunch of 1/2" wide strips. I wanted the length of this top to sit about where you pant hit at you waist , so I think I cut 7 strips off the bottom.
Take each strip & give it just a little tug so that the edges start to curl a bit. Jersey fabric curls to the right side. Typically this annoys me. but today I'm using it as a trapuno effect.
I then shaped the neckline to be a nicer curve. The detail I'm adding to this top will be mainly at the empire height (high waist). So the neckline looks really low, but this cardi is not meant to be worn alone.
Try on the top as you have it so far & check the length - is it too long? now is the time to shorten more. Do you like where the neck will hit on you? Is the body width too big? Now is the time to slim it down.
Here is where you will need to mark where your empire waist is. Use this mark & measure how far up it is from the bottom edge & draw a faint line to follow all the way around the garment.
Once that is done, you will need to round off the front at the bottom. Just trace around a dinner plate for a nice curve. You can do this for the neck too if you do not have fancy rulers.
At your machine, take one of the 1/2" wide strips you cut & snip it open at the side seam. You should now have one really long piece. With the right side of the fabric up, lay the edge of the cut strip on the line that you drew at the empire waist. Pin this all the way around the garment & sew down the center of the strip allowing the edges to curl slightly. ( I'm not pinning it... use you best judgement if you want to use pins of not.
Set aside one piece to be the tie.
For the second strip, snip this open at the seam allowance. Flip the bottom edge of the first strip up & align the next strip of fabric right below it. Sew this on all the way around the garment at the empire waist line.
This was a super simple top that did not take long to sew. Actually, I'm spending way more time blogging about it than it did for me to think about it, cut & sew it up. I think I want to make one for myself in Yellow!
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!
Tuesday, May 4, 2010
Remove make-up & take mirror out of compact. Use a utility knife to scrap off the hinge & clasp portion of the frame.
Find some fun paper & trace the mirror frame (I then had to go & trim off a little more so it sat down in the back side of the mirror better.
Using all purpose glue, glue the paper onto the back side of the mirror frame. Let dry for a few hours. Make sure the paper dries flat (you will have to check it & smooth it back out occasionally depending on the weight of the paper... the heavier the better).
I then used a product called Diamond Glaze which creates a hard "candy coated shell" on the paper. Squeeze on the whole tube & spread around with a tooth pick to cover the entire paper.